The Hawkings family was researched by Denis Hawkings and we hope to add his books to the site with the permission of his son, the Rev Tim Hawkings. Most of the information on these pages comes from his books.
Denis found the first mention of a Hawkins (the spelling changes) in Berrow in 1598 when Joanne Hawkins was baptised, her parents being William and Elinor.
The next records he found was of the burial of William Hawkings in 1609, also at Berrow, and between 1593 and 1609 the burial of John sonne (sic) of William Hawkings. But there are no early marriage records to piece together the early family history. Unfortunately copies of early wills which would have given us more information were taken to Exeter for safe keeping in the Second World War and destroyed in the bombing of the city.
The baptism of James, son of Joseph Hawkings on August 7th, 1726 is the first record which provided the basis of the family tree.
The family records show a long association with Brean, although the family moved to Hunstpill in the late 1700’s where William Body Hawkings (1806-1893) was a prominent figure.
- The Hawkings timeline – family, Berrow, Brean and around
- Joseph Hawkings 1701-1782 and Joan 1701-1777
- James 1726-1790 and Hannah Board 1725-1801
- James 1748-1832 and Hannah Hawkings
- Jeremiah 1779-1822 and Mary Hawkings
- Frederick [1804-1860] and Sarah Hawkings nee Harris [1812-1904]
- Walter [1837-1884] and Mary Anne Hawkings [1841-1876]
- Edmund [1832-1892], Mary Hembry [1840-1875] and Elizabeth Harris
- Jesse Edmund Hawkings 1861-1917
- William Frederick Harris Hawkings [1862-1936] and Tyley Hawkins [1864-1934]
- Edgar Hawkings [1864-1950] and Kate Ann Hawkings [1865-1948]
- Walter Hembry Hawkings [1874-1955] and Helen Mary Duckett [1882-1958]
- Frederick Hawkings [1840-1901]
- Brean Down Farm
- Simple family tree
For more information about the Hawkings in Burnham see Hawkings Family | Capture Burnham
You must log in to post a comment.